The cellphone is lost or stolen certainly makes a headache. Apart from the data, users might worry about the fate of WhatsApp or other potentially misused applications. Well, how do you secure a WhatsApp account when a cell phone is hit by a disaster?
WhatsApp has informed the steps. “If your phone is lost or stolen, we can help ensure that other people cannot use your WhatsApp account,” they said. So what to do? Check out the following guide from WhatsApp.
Block SIM Card
You must contact the cellular service provider as soon as possible to block the SIM card. By blocking the SIM card, other people will not be able to verify your account on the phone, because to do the verification process, the phone must be able to receive SMS or calls.
At this time, you have two choices:
- Use a new SIM card with the same phone number to reactivate your WhatsApp account on a new phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time.
- Email to WhatsApp (email@example.com) by including the following sentence “Lost / Stolen: Please deactivate my account” in the email headline and body section, and include a telephone number in the complete international format.
This is important because even when the SIM card is blocked and the telephone service is deactivated, WhatsApp can still be used with a Wi-Fi connection if you don’t contact us with a request to deactivate your account.
On the other hand WhatsApp states it cannot help finding the location of your phone. Disabling WhatsApp accounts remotely from other devices is not possible.
What happens when an account is deactivated?
- Account is not completely deleted.
- Your contacts can still see your profile.
- Your contacts can still send messages to you, which will be in a pending status for 30 days.
- If you reactivate your account before it is deleted from our system, you will receive a pending message on the new phone and you will remain in your chat group.
- If you do not reactivate your account within 30 days, the account will be completely deleted from the WhatsApp system.